Yoga and Thyroid
Yoga is effective in thyroid diseases treatment. The thyroid gland or simply thyroid is one of the largest endocrine glands in our body. The thyroid is situated in front of the neck and it quite visible when it enlarges, especially when we swallow. Enlargement of the thyroid gland is one of the symptoms of a thyroid disease.
Even though there is increasing prevalence of thyroid disorders today, there are numerous treatment options available to patients. Of course, every treatment would take time to show results, but in the meantime, you have something to cheer about. With yoga and meditation you can help overcome thyroid problems. So just add a few minutes of yoga practice to your regular treatment as that will help reduce stress and also make your everyday life smoother and happier and control the sensitivity of other hormones in the body.
Thyroid disorders can be of many types but the two most prevalent ones are:
- Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid)
- Hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid)
Symptoms of thyroid imbalance:
- You may be slowly feeling disinterested in everyday affairs, getting lethargic and developing a laid-back attitude towards everything.
- You may be doing just the routine work as always but feel more fatigued than usual.
- You just don’t seem to understand why you remain constipated of late.
- Your friends have started noticing a sudden weight gain and you can’t seem to explain why as you’re not even overeating!
- You look at yourself in the mirror these days and notice your face looks puffy.
- You are feeling upset seeing your long, thick hair begin to thin suddenly and there are bunches of hair lying scattered all over the house.
- Menstrual cycles are irregular.
- You are noticing excessive hair growth on the face which is becoming embarrassing.
Other symptoms of thyroid imbalance
- Weight gain
- Aches and pain
- Feeling cold
- Nervousness and irritability
- Neck discomfort/ Enlargement
- Hair/skin changes
- Muscles and joint pain
Pranayama for treating hypothyroidism, thyroid problems:
- Bhastrika Pranayama
- Kapalbhati Pranayama
- Anulom Vilom Pranayama and Nadi Shodhan
- Bharmari Pranayama
Yoga Posture for Thyroid Problem
- Sarvangasana: Is one of the most beneficial postures for this condition. It stimulates the thyroid gland to function properly and also helps stimulate other glands in the head region such as the pituitary and pineal glands, which also have an indirect effect on the functioning of the thyroid gland.
- Viparitakarani: This asana also helps increase blood flow to the head and neck region, making it perfect to aid your thyroid glands function.
- JanuShirasasana: This asana helps improve and strengthen the spinal column and massages the thyroid gland — thereby helping it function better.
- Matsyasana: With your neck bent away from your body, this asana is aimed at gently massaging the thyroid gland.
- Halasana: Another asana that works just like the sarvangasana, the halasna is great to help increase blood flow to the thyroid and improve its functioning.
- Marjariasana: Also known as the cat stretch, this asana helps your body relax and relieves the symptoms of hyper and hypo thyroidism.
- Surya Namaskar: A set of 12 asanas, this yoga pose helps you lose weight and beat one of the most troublesome symptoms of hypothyroidism — weight gain.